There is a verse tucked into Psalm 73 it is located at the 28th verse:
“But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.”
As I think about the many things that go into making up our lives, I have discovered that though many ignore it, the spiritual aspect of life is vitally important. On any given day, things will come at you from a host of different directions. Life seems to be moving at warp speed, and it can be quite a challenge just hanging on! Change is happening, and it will continue to happen, and it will come whether or not you and I approve or even like it makes little to no difference. I have heard most of my life that the only things sure in this life are death and taxes. Today I think ‘change’ needs to be added to the mix. The need to make decisions also comes at us rapidly and often. I have read that each of us makes a few hundred decisions each day. Things like: Where shall we eat? What shall we eat? Do I have enough time to pull out in front of the oncoming traffic? What shall I wear today? It is no wonder that many are suffering from ‘decision fatigue!’ In addition, you are bombarded with information continually. In these two minutes, I have named only a few things that can feed into the feeling of overwhelm that is prevalent today.
What is the antidote? How can we get off the merry go round? Look to God!
A few thoughts I have gathered from this verse:
- “But as for me.” It does not matter what others think or how they conduct themselves; I am responsible for my actions and reactions.
- “It is good to be near God.” Closeness. I can draw near to God, spend time with Him, enjoy His presence, and learn to depend upon Him.
- “I have made.” Choice. I must decide. In the midst of the chaos and confusion, I still have a decision to make. Am I going to get so caught up in all the drama of the world that I neglect to spend time in the Lord’s presence?
- “The Sovereign Lord my refuge. What is a refuge? Here is the dictionary definition: “shelter or protection from danger, trouble, etc.: to take refuge from a storm. a place of shelter, protection, or safety. anything to which one has recourse for aid, relief, or escape.” In this world, we need a place of safety and security. The Lord is our refuge and our help, He sustains and assists us as we go through the situations and events of life. It is important to have a place of quiet confidence and a place for rest and restoration. That place is found in God alone.
- “I will tell of your deeds.” The only proper response to a God who is there for us and who gives us rest, as well as protection, is to spread the word! We talk about many things, and you do not have to spend much time with someone to find out what they value and deem important. Can others pick up on the fact that God is our priority? Storms and difficulties come throughout our lives; the good news is that God is our help. He provides a wonderful refuge. So many times, I have sought refuge in Him, and He is always there, and I know you can depend upon Him!
Are things getting you down today? As for me, I have found that God has always been there for me, and I am confident He will continue to do so!