Transitions are a challenge: I like these thoughts regarding transitions:
- “Transitions in life can offer opportunities for discovery.” – Robbie Shell
- “Sometimes, God brings times of transition to create transformation.” – Lynn Cowell
- “Your life is a story of transition.”
Going through this new transition is only new because I have never been here before but in reality, all of my life and in fact everyone’s life is a continual transition. Change and transition can be used interchangeably. There is a sense in which I am feeling comfortable with this change in our lives for several reasons:
- Susanne and I have been traveling through life for forty-two years, so there is someone on the journey with me
- Change has been the only certainty.
- I have lived through changes for these many years surely I will persevere in this season of change.
- There are always new lessons learned during these seasons.
- If you see life as an adventure and not punishment, just that perspective brings joy.
Susanne and I just celebrated our wedding anniversary and it was the one-year anniversary of the passing of her mother, and in fifty days it will mark one year since the passing of her dad. During this past year, she has retired from her job as a hospital chaplain, and she received her second cancer diagnosis. It was a whirlwind year. Prayerfully together we came to the conclusion that I should step away from my position. You can pray, plan, and run the numbers, etc, but there will come a day when you still have to jump! So for the last almost two weeks, we have experienced what everyone feels in this stage of life: we are on vacation!
Two weeks in here are a few observations:
- Plans are good. People who plan are more prepared to move in a different direction. Failing to plan is akin to flailing and thrashing, a lot of activity but little progress. No matter how well you plan you will not have figured everything out ahead of time so be ready to adjust your plans when needed.
- God is with you. The same God who has led you through other time periods and seasons of change is still in control today!
- Make peace with the present. Throughout my life, I made up my mind that I would be present and enjoy today. It is paying dividends today. There really is no other choice, or should I say a reasonable choice.
- Let go of the past. Do not let go of relationships, but you are not where you used to be and you are not who you used to be, you are still you, not your position, not your job not your accomplishments, not your possessions, but you are the one and only you!
- Seize this season Do not just go along for the ride. Be proactive and make a plan, but be flexible.
One of my favorite quotes from Dr. Dennis Kinlaw sums up my feelings on this subject: “The essence of being a Christian is putting your hand in the hand of Christ and turning your back on any rights to the direction of your life. Your future becomes his, and he leads you.”
Today my friend, wherever you are on your journey keep following Him, and notice how God opens doors and sends people alongside you. Remember each day that God wants to use you and me to be a help and blessing to those we encounter this day.
God bless you my friend regardless of what season you are in, God is in charge of all the seasons as well.
3 Thoughts to “Transitions”
Thank you for these words! We experience small transition in our ministry and your wise words help.a lot! Olga and Aleksei
All so true! Keep writing. Love and prayers.
Praying for the best for you and Suzanne. Still a good ride